Homologation Engineer, Vehicle Systems
Garden Grove, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Harbinger Motors Inc. is a Los Angeles-based electric vehicle manufacturer on a mission to transform the automotive and transportation industries, bringing to market EVs developed from the ground up to address the needs of the Medium Duty vehicle industry. This broad, and to date poorly addressed, market segment includes class 4 to 7 commercial delivery vehicles, RVs and utility vehicles, among others. Leveraging a foundation of proprietary, in-house developed vehicle technologies, Harbinger's first-of-its-kind EV platform will bring enhancements in vehicle performance, durability and operator comfort. And importantly, Harbinger's vehicles will be priced for zero acquisition premium relative to traditional gas- and diesel-based competitors, removing one of the most tenacious barriers to EV adoption.
Harbinger's team, with operations in Southern California and Michigan, includes industry veterans with expertise in powertrain, battery, chassis and software development, along with leaders in advanced manufacturing, corporate development, operations and finance. Our team members come from leading innovators, both in and out of the automotive industry, including Tesla, Rivian, Canoo, Ford, Anduril, and SpaceX.
Founded in 2021, Harbinger is a venture-backed startup on a rapid growth trajectory, looking for candidates that thrive on tackling complex challenges and who share in our passion to bring clean transportation alternatives to a segment of the market starving for innovation.
The primary responsibility for this Homologation Engineer position will be to oversee the development and execution of comprehensive test plans to ensure compliance with industry standards and regulatory requirements. Analyze test and field data to determine performance indicators and identify areas for improvement. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate homologation requirements effectively, while enhancing customer experience. Define certification strategies, safety requirements, and regulatory benchmarks needed to achieve functionality, safety, and reliability objectives. Review, approve, and manage change requests to ensure continuous compliance and alignment with evolving industry standards.
What You'll Do:
- Develop a comprehensive list of vehicle features and requirements based on various sources, including relevant ISO, NCAP specs, FMVSS, FMCSR, and customer constraints
- Stay updated on emerging regulations and market trends, ensuring proactive adaptation to incoming compliance requirements, such as those from Euro NCAP
- Collaborate with various engineering teams to integrate homologation requirements effectively, ensuring compliance and certification at all stages of product development
- Develop comprehensive CDPR for applicable regulatory requirements and detail the test plan
- Coordinate with external governing agencies, third-party consultants, and testing facilities to ensure vehicles meet state-of-the-art requirements and achieve full compliance
- Work with internal engineering teams and external governing agencies to develop and validate vehicle performance
- Schedule and manage testing activities at proving grounds, working closely with internal and external stakeholders to facilitate efficient processes
- Root all design proposals and requirements in first principles, applying strong attention to detail in documentation and ensuring accuracy in compliance-related activities
- Manage the creation and maintenance of Incomplete Vehicle Documents (IVDs) and other essential documentation, demonstrating exceptional organizational and documentation skills
- Manage the homologation budget and oversee project planning for required testing, ensuring efficient allocation of resources and timely completion of compliance activities
Who You Are:
- Passion for bringing electrification to the commercial medium duty space in the most efficient and effective way possible5+ years of experience in automotive compliance, homologation, or FMVSS-related roles, preferably with a focus on electric vehicles
- Strong understanding of automotive compliance regulations, including FMVSS, and experience working with relevant authorities and agencies
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with a willingness to spend time on details in documentation and reporting
- Flexibility to travel up to 15-20% of the time for meetings, testing, and other compliance-related activities
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams, coordinating with various departments to ensure seamless integration of compliance requirements
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field is preferred, though we are open to considering candidates with diverse educational backgrounds, provided they possess relevant experience and expertise in the industry
- Strong appreciation for the importance of compliance and its implications
Harbinger is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harbinger is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Harbinger may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Harbinger may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Harbinger may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our HR, legal, and finance teams, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Harbinger affiliates; and (iii) Harbinger’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Harbinger may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services. Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Harbinger and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Harbinger unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.