Summer Intern, Battery and Component Test
Garden Grove, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Harbinger Motors Inc. is a Los Angeles-based electric vehicle manufacturer on a mission to transform the automotive and transportation industries, bringing to market EVs developed from the ground up to address the needs of the Medium Duty vehicle industry. This broad, and to date poorly addressed, market segment includes class 4 to 7 commercial delivery vehicles, RVs and utility vehicles, among others. Leveraging a foundation of proprietary, in-house developed vehicle technologies, Harbinger's first-of-its-kind EV platform will bring enhancements in vehicle performance, durability and operator comfort. And importantly, Harbinger's vehicles will be priced for zero acquisition premium relative to traditional gas- and diesel-based competitors, removing one of the most tenacious barriers to EV adoption.
Harbinger's team, with operations in Southern California and Michigan, includes industry veterans with expertise in powertrain, battery, chassis and software development, along with leaders in advanced manufacturing, corporate development, operations and finance. Our team members come from leading innovators, both in and out of the automotive industry, including Tesla, Rivian, Canoo, Ford, Anduril, and SpaceX.
Founded in 2021, Harbinger is a venture-backed startup on a rapid growth trajectory, looking for candidates that thrive on tackling complex challenges and who share in our passion to bring clean transportation alternatives to a segment of the market starving for innovation.
As an intern working with Harbinger's Testing team, you will play an active role in characterizing and validating the vehicle battery and various vehicle components. You will support the testing team by running electrical and thermal performance tests on vehicle battery packs and vehicle components, and learn how to grade pack/component performance based on your test results. You will help support offsite pack safety testing and get a crash course on best practices to test for, and ultimately avoid, full-pack thermal runaway. You will learn how to design instrumentation and test fixture setups that produce the data you are looking for. We have many opportunities depending on your interests to advance your knowledge of EV batteries and components in this rapidly expanding field. This intern is for the summer period, with dates flexible depending on school calendars.
- The intern will work side-by-side with the battery test engineer to setup and run a variety of component, module, and pack-level tests. The intern will work side-by-side with the component test engineer to setup and run a variety of component, system, and vehicle-level tests.
- The intern can expect to spend the majority of time in the lab, working to wire and integrate sensors, design and build test setups, and collect/process data.
- The intern will own one/two long-term projects. These projects will be chosen at the start of the internship and can range from setting up and running technical experiments, to test methodology and procedure improvement, to equipment calibration or other lab organization activities.
- Intern will assist with data collection and analysis from tests in-progress and become familiar (or more familiar) with LabVIEW and Python.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- A student or recent graduate with a Bachelors' in Engineering.
- Experience with automotive components, automotive HVAC experience is a plus. Good understanding of basic principles and relationships between voltage, power, and current as well as those between fluid pressure and flow.
- The ideal candidate is looking forward to a hands-on, lab-work position that implements a learn-by-doing approach. Applicant that enjoys working with their hands, likes building things, and has an uncanny ability to make things work despite the obstacles will do best in this role.
- Previous experience with sensors like thermistors, thermocouples, pressure transducers, and flowmeters.
- Experience modeling with CATIA is a plus, but not required. Similarly, past history using LabVIEW, Python, or National Instruments cDAQ/cRIO including CAN would be useful.
A Harbinger of Good Things to Come...
- Collaborative work atmosphere that values multidisciplinary thinking
- Work with other talented engineers and businesspeople who are driven to change the world for the better
- Paid lunches
Harbinger is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harbinger is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Harbinger may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Harbinger may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Harbinger may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our HR, legal, and finance teams, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Harbinger affiliates; and (iii) Harbinger’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Harbinger may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services. Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Harbinger and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Harbinger unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.