Quality Engineer, Battery
Garden Grove, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2023
Harbinger Motors Inc. is a Los Angeles-based electric vehicle manufacturer on a mission to transform the automotive and transportation industries, bringing to market EVs developed from the ground up to address the needs of the Medium Duty vehicle industry. This broad, and to date poorly addressed, market segment includes class 4 to 7 commercial delivery vehicles, RVs and utility vehicles, among others. Leveraging a foundation of proprietary, in-house developed vehicle technologies, Harbinger's first-of-its-kind EV platform will bring enhancements in vehicle performance, durability and operator comfort. And importantly, Harbinger's vehicles will be priced for zero acquisition premium relative to traditional gas- and diesel-based competitors, removing one of the most tenacious barriers to EV adoption.
Harbinger's team, with operations in Southern California and Michigan, includes industry veterans with expertise in powertrain, battery, chassis and software development, along with leaders in advanced manufacturing, corporate development, operations and finance. Our team members come from leading innovators, both in and out of the automotive industry, including Tesla, Rivian, Canoo, Ford, Anduril, and SpaceX.
Founded in 2021, Harbinger is a venture-backed startup on a rapid growth trajectory, looking for candidates that thrive on tackling complex challenges and who share in our passion to bring clean transportation alternatives to a segment of the market starving for innovation.
The successful Quality Engineer will exhibit exceptional troubleshooting acumen and possess the ability to uphold consistent adherence to established quality standards for electric vehicle battery systems.
What You’ll Do:
- Development and implementation of comprehensive quality standards, quality control systems, and manufacturing and supplier quality protocols for electric vehicle batteries
- Thorough inspection and testing of materials, equipment, processes, and products to ensure meticulous compliance with quality specifications
- Collaborating with production leadership to devise and execute controls and improvements tailored to electric vehicle battery systems
- Supporting the assembly team with battery packs, battery modules, and equipment buyoff Conducting technical and statistical investigations concerning quality issues, methods, and equipment, culminating in actionable recommendations
- Formulating effective corrective actions, solutions, and enhancements for supplier, production, and product-related challenges specific to electric vehicle batteries
- Spearheading Supplier audits, APQP, PPAP, Gauge R&R, and safe launch activities for electric vehicle battery systems
- Participating in design reviews alongside design engineering and manufacturing teams to mitigate manufacturing and assembly risks linked to electric vehicle batteries
- Developing documentation and guidelines for the collection, analysis, and reporting of quality data pertinent to electric vehicle battery systems in a manufacturing environment
- Leading and instructing interdisciplinary efforts to conduct Root Cause analysis for both internal and external electric vehicle battery products, ensuring timely responses and validation of corrective actions to prevent non-conformances
- Leading MRB meetings and acting as a quality representative within the engineering change control board for electric vehicle battery systems
- Pioneering the implementation of quality processes and key performance indicators (KPIs) in collaboration with internal manufacturing teams, contract manufacturers, and suppliers, specifically targeting electric vehicle battery systems
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing) or a related technical field
- Three to five years of pertinent experience in manufacturing quality or supplier quality engineering within the electric vehicle or aerospace industry, or equivalent manufacturing environments
- ASQ Certifications such as Certified Quality Engineer, Certified Quality Auditor, Certified Quality Manager, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, or higher, are preferred
- Proficiency in ISO-9001:2018 or IATF 16949 standards is highly desired
- Familiarity with fundamental quality core tools including Quality Management Systems, Supplier and Internal Audits, APQP, SPC, PPAP, FMEA, and MSA
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills are essential
- Excellent project management skills, capable of managing multiple projects concurrently
- Solid understanding of electric vehicle battery technology, general assembly, and thermal systems is advantageous
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time
A Harbinger of Good Things to Come...Here’s what we offer!
- A mission oriented to changing the world for the better100% covered healthcare
- Competitive pay and early-stage equity compensation
- Collaborative work atmosphere that values multi-disciplinary thinking alongside other talented engineers and businesspeople (some of the best in the EV space!)
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Flexible paid time off
- Paid lunches
Harbinger is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harbinger is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Harbinger may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Harbinger may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Harbinger may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our HR, legal, and finance teams, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Harbinger affiliates; and (iii) Harbinger’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Harbinger may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services. Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Harbinger and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Harbinger unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.