Product Specifications Engineer, Product Design
Garden Grove, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Harbinger Motors Inc. is a Los Angeles-based electric vehicle manufacturer on a mission to transform the automotive and transportation industries, bringing to market EVs developed from the ground up to address the needs of the Medium Duty vehicle industry. This broad, and to date poorly addressed, market segment includes class 4 to 7 commercial delivery vehicles, RVs and utility vehicles, among others. Leveraging a foundation of proprietary, in-house developed vehicle technologies, Harbinger's first-of-its-kind EV platform will bring enhancements in vehicle performance, durability and operator comfort. And importantly, Harbinger's vehicles will be priced for zero acquisition premium relative to traditional gas- and diesel-based competitors, removing one of the most tenacious barriers to EV adoption.
Harbinger's team, with operations in Southern California and Michigan, includes industry veterans with expertise in powertrain, battery, chassis and software development, along with leaders in advanced manufacturing, corporate development, operations and finance. Our team members come from leading innovators, both in and out of the automotive industry, including Tesla, Rivian, Canoo, Ford, Anduril, and SpaceX.
Founded in 2021, Harbinger is a venture-backed startup on a rapid growth trajectory, looking for candidates that thrive on tackling complex challenges and who share in our passion to bring clean transportation alternatives to a segment of the market starving for innovation.
We are currently seeking a passionate and highly motivated individual to join our team as a Product Specifications Engineer. The individual is ideally a well rounded engineer who can go into the details of different realms of automotive engineering. As a key member of our engineering team, you will play a pivotal role in defining and refining product specifications for our cutting-edge electric vehicles. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to translate customer requirements, market trends, and regulatory standards into clear technical specifications. Your expertise will drive the development of highly optimized EVs in the medium duty space that set new industry standards for efficiency, effectiveness and safety.
What You'll Do
- Shall Collaborate with Business development, Engineering and Homologation teams to translate customer needs, market demands, engineering constraints and regulatory requirements into detailed and comprehensive product specifications.
- Shall develop and maintain high-fidelity vehicle models to analyze complex interactions between subsystems and components, aiding in the identification of potential conflicts and opportunities for optimization.
- Shall lead trade-off studies to balance performance, safety, and durability considerations, making informed decisions that optimize the overall product specifications and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Shall define various vehicle-level attributes, such as acceleration, range, handling dynamics, braking performance, and active safety features, ensuring that the final product meets or exceeds target metrics.
- Shall apply a deep understanding of engineering fundamentals and first principles to establish a strong foundation for all product requirements, ensuring that technical decisions are grounded in sound engineering principles.
- Shall be responsible for literature research which includes study of standards from NCAP, SAE, ISO etc.
- Shall contribute in researching and analyzing the market to identify emerging trends and benchmark competitor vehicles in the segment, enabling informed specification adjustments to maintain a competitive edge.
Who You Are
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degree (Master's or PhD) is a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in automotive engineering, electric vehicles, or related industries, with a proven track record in product specification development.
- Proficiency in relevant software tools for data analysis, modeling, and simulation (e.g., MATLAB, Simulink, CAE software).
- Strong understanding of engineering principles, with the ability to apply first-principle thinking to complex problems and trade-off analyses.
- Experience with requirement writing, requirement management tool such as Polarion, DOORS etc is a plus.
- Proficiency in conducting data-driven analysis, trade-off studies, and benchmarking to make informed decisions on product specifications.
- Meticulous attention to detail when defining specifications to ensure accuracy and consistency across the product development lifecycle.
- Solid understanding of global automotive safety and emissions standards, with the ability to ensure product specifications align with regulatory requirements.
- Capacity to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and adapt to evolving industry trends and company goals.
- Genuine enthusiasm for electric vehicles, sustainable transportation, and contributing to a cleaner and greener future.
A Harbinger of Good Things to Come...Here’s what we offer!
- A mission oriented to changing the world for the better
- 100% covered healthcare
- Competitive pay and early-stage equity compensation
- Collaborative work atmosphere that values multi-disciplinary thinking alongside other talented engineers and businesspeople (some of the best in the EV space!)
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Flexible paid time off
- Paid lunches
Harbinger is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harbinger is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Harbinger may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Harbinger may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Harbinger may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our HR, legal, and finance teams, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Harbinger affiliates; and (iii) Harbinger’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Harbinger may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services. Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Harbinger and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Harbinger unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.