Spacecraft Systems Technician
ICON is looking for a Spacecraft Systems Technician to assist the R&D efforts for ICON’s extra-terrestrial goals. As an Spacecraft Systems Technician at ICON, you will be expected to apply your commitment to quality, technical expertise, and can-do attitude to positively impact the design of systems that enable off-world construction. This role is based locally in ICON’s Austin, TX laboratories, and will report to the Director of Off-Planet Systems in the Strategic R&D Department.
- Assemble and operate space environmental simulation systems including vacuum chambers, thermal chambers, vibration tables, and strength and stiffness fixtures.
- Operation of hand tools.
- Configuration of work cells including layouts, tooling, and equipment.
- Assistance with transition from development to production.
- Manufacture, assembly, and test of mechanical, fluid, and electrical flight hardware assemblies according to written procedures and engineering models, drawings, specifications, and standards.
- Perform second party verifications and hardware inspections of engineering models, drawings, specifications, and written work instructions.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and correct discrepancies by modification, rework, repair, and/or maintenance.
- Operation of various material handling equipment including forklifts, overhead cranes, aerial lifts, truck-trailer combinations, and other support equipment as required.
- Ownership of coordinated activities between operations, facilities, and other engineering/technician teams (i.e., construction work, hardware moves, etc.)
- Setup and operate and maintain a wide range of high-precision calibrated tools such as torque wrenches, micrometers, calipers, depth gauges, and optical measuring instruments.
- Perform routine maintenance functions such as daily clean-up of work areas while taking ownership of Safety and Quality initiatives.
- Run predefined experiments while creating detailed and organized reports in a timely manner.
- Design and implement fixtures, tooling and low-level prototypes to aid in development.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Experience in Aerospace/Launch vehicle production, testing, and assembly.
- Experience in handling large aerospace components and flight hardware.
- Experience in manufacturing, integration, or another relevant field.
- Ability to interpret engineering models, drawings, specifications, written work instructions, and test procedures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills such as Windows, G-suite, etc.
- Ability to work in confined spaces for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work with a strong work ethic and close attention to detail in a fast-paced dynamic team environment with rapidly changing roles and responsibilities.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with multi-axis robotic systems.
- Metal fabrication experience (fabricating, assembly, and install).
- Experience in drilling applications and assembling tightly toleranced structures.
- Industry certification, trade school training and/or degree in a related field.
- Military Experience.
- Experience with build out of vacuum chambers and operation of vacuum equipment.
- Experience in 3D printing systems (FDM, SLS, SLA)
- CAD experience, preferably SolidWorks
- PHYSICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, noise, and outdoor conditions.
- Physical effort may be required for the handling of supplies or materials (up to 50 lbs. unassisted).
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
Something looks off?