ICON seeks a highly skilled and motivated Laboratory Manager, Concrete Materials to lead our concrete testing laboratory operations. You will oversee all aspects of the concrete testing laboratory, including quality control, safety compliance, equipment maintenance, laboratory supplies, and team management. The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of concrete materials testing, laboratory management experience, and a commitment to delivering accurate and reliable results. This role is based on ICON’s Austin, TX campus and will report to the Director, Materials Science.
- Lead and manage daily laboratory operations.
- Schedule and allocate resources to meet project deadlines.
- Ensure accurate and timely test results and documentation.
- Review and approve test reports and data analysis.
- Manage the laboratory space and sample inventory.
- Maintain and keep a calibration schedule for testing equipment.
- Monitor inventory and manage the procurement of laboratory supplies.
- Oversee various concrete tests, including slump, compressive strength, diverse concrete durability tests, sieve analysis, aggregate densities, and one-off style tests in coordination with engineers.
- Perform testing with the Construction Materials Technicians to ease the testing backlog or meet tight deadlines.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks daily (e.g., transition from office work to fieldwork at a moment’s notice).
- Troubleshoot testing issues and provide technical guidance.
- Recruit, train, and mentor laboratory staff.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, continuous improvement, and safety.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 5+ years of demonstrated experience performing laboratory tests on aggregates and concrete.
- Familiarity with ASTM cementitious, ceramic, concrete, and masonry materials test methods and specifications.
- Required ACI certifications:
- Aggregate Testing Technician - Level 1
- Concrete Field-Testing Technician - Grade I
- Concrete Strength Testing Technician
- Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician - Level 1 (Or ability to get it within six months of hiring)
- Valid driver’s license.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. with experience working in a concrete materials laboratory.
- Microsoft Excel basic proficiency and familiarity with G Suite productivity tools.
- Forklift experience.
- OSHA 10 Certification.
- Must be prepared to work, in part, in extreme environments: temps > 100 °F or below freezing, sun, rain, mud, lack of electricity, etc.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- This position may require travel up to 20%.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.